Published Tue 30 June 2020
It is with great pleasure that I am writing to announce a return of water-based activities at SYC.
The last few months have been very tough for many people and businesses and my heart goes out to any of the SYC family who have been directly impacted by this horrific virus.
On the plus side, the sacrifices we have all made since 23 March now seem to have taken effect and as many aspects of life in the UK start to return to the “new normal”, so can activities at the Club.
However, with the threat of the virus still very real, and whilst restrictions remain in place - please ensure that you are adhering to the current government guidelines at all times.
For Keelboats, this is likely to mean a lot of short-handed sailing or sailing with your family/bubbles for the next month or so. It will be a Skippers responsibility to ensure their boats are crewed in accordance with Govt guidelines.
Please also ensure that you follow the most up to date guidance from Shoreham Port – we will do our best to keep you informed of this. At the time of writing, the latest guidance from the Port is that mooring on the North wall of the ‘small’ lock remains prohibited.
As Boris keeps saying, we will not hesitate to impose further restrictions again if the need exists. So please behave!
Anyway, back to the positives, with effect from Saturday 4 July, a slightly revised programme will be in effect as per below. We hope that August will allow our full programme to resume (fingers crossed)
a. Pursuit Series – To be run as normal.
i. Summer Pursuit 4 – 04/07/2020 @ 10:00 – This will be moved to Sunday 5th if the weather stops play on the 4th.
ii. Summer Pursuit 4a – 11/07/2020 @ 14:00
iii. Summer Pursuit 5 – 18/07/2020 @ 10:00
iv. Summer Pursuit 6 – 25/07/2020 @ 14:00 – The Pursuit Supper which was due to follow this race is cancelled.
b. Inshore Series – To be run with Gate Starts only. A separate NOR may be issued in due course, otherwise racing will be as per instructions issued on the day.
i. Summer Blast 1 – 12/07/2020 @ 14:00
ii. Summer Blast 2 – 19/07/2020 @ 10:00
iii. Summer Blast 3 – 26/07/2020 @ 15:00
c. Offshore Series
i. The Pactolus race scheduled for 10/07/2020 has been postponed until further notice.
i. All rallies scheduled for 2020 have been postponed until further notice. As and when the restrictions are lifted further, we will review the position.
e. Sonar Match Racing
i. This was scheduled to start on Thursday 2nd July. It has been postponed and we will look to run it over two weekends later in the season as the rules on ‘gatherings’ are relaxed further
a. The dinghy racing programme resumes in August with the Ferguson on the 16th and Blackrock on the 29th. We expect these to run as scheduled.
b. The Saturday Club, which was due to be launched on 4th July is postponed until further notice.
3/. Stand-up Paddleboards (SUP)
a. The Club’s new offering of SUP training and hire will hit the ground running in August – more information to follow
b. Further activities for the SUP-ers in the Club will be added later and may include, races, “rallies” and water-polo/lacrosse
I hope the above is welcome news to everyone and I look forward to enjoying the remainder of the season with you all.
Rear Commodore Afloat